Re: Usb2 and hal issue

From: Coleman Kane <cokane_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 17:10:58 -0500
On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 20:17 +0100, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> Hi Kane!
>
> Your patch will solve the CPU problem, but will otherwise not fix FreeBSD USB
> support under HAL.
>
> 1) Hal should use "devd" to get attach/detach events.
> 2) Hal should use libusb20/libusb to access USB functions and to enumerate USB
> devices.
>
> --HPS

Thanks,

Yes, after further investigation I found out that it just fixes the CPU
utilization issue, but the USB support remains broken. I don't use its
USB support all that much, so I didn't even realize this until recently.
I guess our old USB code presented /dev/usb0, /dev/usb1, ..., /dev/usbN
for N+1 USB controllers. These aren't here anymore so maybe the above
suggestion to use libusb now for FreeBSD (which currently gets disabled
when configure realizes we're FreeBSD) is the best approach.

I managed to get the libusb20 library working with libfprint and the
associated pam_fprint and fprint_demo software. It is working really
well for me so far.

--
Coleman Kane