Re: serial console in current

From: Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 04:09:17 -0800
On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 02:09:28PM +0300, Anton Yuzhaninov wrote:
> On 13.11.2008 21:05, Ed Schouten wrote:
>> * Anton Yuzhaninov <citrin_at_citrin.ru> wrote:
>>> with cuau0 in /etc/ttys it works!
>>
>> That means your serial cable probably doesn't have its carrier detect
>> line connected properly.
>>

> Pinout of my cable is:
>
> 1 - 1
> 2 - 3
> 3 - 2
> 4 - 6
> 5 - 5
> 6 - 4
> 7 - 8
> 8 - 7
> 9 - 9
>
> As I understand, carrier detect line connected properly.
> Correct me, if I mistaken.
> What is proper freebsd serial cable pinout?

The handbook goes over this.  Your cable is indeed wrong.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/serial.html#SERIAL-CABLES-PORTS

And these are from our internal notes, specifically for use with our
serial console device (MRV LX-4016S) which uses RJ45 for serial.  The
pin names I've labelled appropriately, so you should be able to figure
out what your cable should be.  And yes, these work with hardware flow
control, and are *reliable* on FreeBSD.  We use the gettytab entry
"std.115200" for them, with no character loss.

The LX-4016S-001 sports sixteen (16) RJ45 connectors.

The cabling for the console port (Diag/Mgmt Port, also known as Port 0)
comes with the unit.  The cable to use for this port appears to be some
sort of rollover cable (Cisco?); it's silver and flat, not round like
CAT5.  It's 8-pin though.  A DB9 adapter also comes with this cable,
which allows you to hook it up to a standard PC and access it.

Ports labelled 1-16 require RJ45-to-DB9 adapters for hooking the MRV
up to actual servers in the rack.  The adapters that work best are the
Xyplex XFDCE91 adapters, which support hardware flow control (RTS/CTS)
and come pre-assembled.  You can find the product here:

   Xyplex adapter XFDCE91
   RJ45-to-DB9
   APACN p/n 24490-15 -- http://www.apacn.com/

Pinout/wiring diagram:

         RJ45          DB9
       Female          Female
  ===========          =======
      (CTS) 1  <---->  7 (RTS)
      (DTR) 2  <---->  6 (DSR)
      (TxD) 3  <---->  2 (RxD)
  (TxD GND) 4  <---->  5 (GND)
  (RxD GND) 5  <---->  5 (GND)
      (RxD) 6  <---->  3 (TxD)
  (DSR/DCD) 7  <---->  4 (DTR)
      (RTS) 8  <---->  8 (CTS)

Pins 1 (DCD) and 9 (RI) on the DB9 are unconnected/unused.

With these adapters, use standard (not crossover!) CAT5/6 cables.