Re: i give up

From: Wes Morgan <morganw_at_chemikals.org>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 09:03:28 -0600 (CST)
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008, Steve Kargl wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 11:41:55PM -0600, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
>> It's been two-three months now since I bought this new machine, and I'm
>> no closer to seeing any solution to the failure on FreeBSD's part to
>> recognize and/or utilize my SATA controller.  I've been monitoring the
>> lists and the CVS repo, even offering suggestions as to how I might help
>> to resolve this issue, but no one seems to be interested in helping me
>> to get this thing working.
>>

> According to PR 128686, Soren sent you some patches.  So I guess
> Soren qualifies as "no one" because his attempt to help failed?
>
> It also would seem that you had 2-3 months to read the Linux code
> to identify any hacks necessary to make your unnamed SATA controller
> work.
>
> When buying hardware, yes, it is prudent to make sure it is compatible
> with the software you intend to use.

I've had horrible experiences with VIA and nVidia controllers anyway.
Intel seems to have some of the best SATA chipsets.

A quick search of the archives shows nothing. Other than the chipset, what
is the board? How is it configured in the BIOS? Does the IDE port (if
any) work... What kind of patch did Soren send? Was it just a simple
update of the device listings? Perhaps it had a typo...