Re: 6-CORE Dunnington

From: Gavin Atkinson <gavin_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 17:15:44 +0100
On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 23:36 +0800, Mars G Miro wrote:
> Hiya
>
>    Has anyone successfully tried installing and running FreeBSD on
> Intel's newest 6-CORE Dunnington?
>
>    I was able to install 200809-CURRENT on it but after recompiling
> the kernel (taking out WITNESS, INVARIANTS KGDB et al) I found out
> that I could not boot it anymore. What's weird is that I could not
> boot the same 200809-CURRENT CD that I used the first time. Just hangs
> on
>     uhci0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
>     uhci0: [ITHREAD]
>
>    I've also tried installing via PXE and it always hangs on the above
> spot, even using a -CURRENT from Sept 26 and PXE-booting it. No go :-(

Firstly, does it seem to be detecting all six CPUs correctly?  Are you
able to reboot with the old kernel and put a verbose dmesg and the
output of "acpidump -dt" up on the web somewhere?  It would also be
interesting to know if anything else is printed after the above when it
hangs on a verbose boot.

There was a report back in July about FreeBSD not discovering all the
CPUs on the board, but there was no mention of hanging on boot.

Gavin