Re: 6-CORE Dunnington

From: Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 10:31:15 +0200
Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 23:36 +0800, Mars G Miro wrote:
>> Hiya
>>
>>    Has anyone successfully tried installing and running FreeBSD on
>> Intel's newest 6-CORE Dunnington?
>>
>>    I was able to install 200809-CURRENT on it but after recompiling
>> the kernel (taking out WITNESS, INVARIANTS KGDB et al) I found out
>> that I could not boot it anymore. What's weird is that I could not
>> boot the same 200809-CURRENT CD that I used the first time. Just hangs
>> on
>>     uhci0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
>>     uhci0: [ITHREAD]
>>
>>    I've also tried installing via PXE and it always hangs on the above
>> spot, even using a -CURRENT from Sept 26 and PXE-booting it. No go :-(
>
> Firstly, does it seem to be detecting all six CPUs correctly?  Are you
> able to reboot with the old kernel and put a verbose dmesg and the
> output of "acpidump -dt" up on the web somewhere?  It would also be
> interesting to know if anything else is printed after the above when it
> hangs on a verbose boot.
>
> There was a report back in July about FreeBSD not discovering all the
> CPUs on the board, but there was no mention of hanging on boot.

That was me and I actually did discover a similar boot problem later.
For me, it turned out that booting FreeBSD after booting Linux worked
fine, but booting FreeBSD from cold-boot hung in a similar way.

I didn't discover what the problem was with detecting all 6 cores but I
might have been a buggy/development BIOS.