Re: regression in HDA functionality

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 10:40:15 +0300
Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> There's seems to have been a regression in HDA functionality with the
> ATI SB600 High Definition Audio Controller since the 200809 snapshot
> (amd64) was made.
>
> With this version of the driver from the snapshot, the headphone output
> works:
> /boot/kernel/snd_hda.ko:
> $FreeBSD: src/sys/dev/sound/pci/hda/hdac.c,v 1.55 2008/07/15 02:34:44 delphij Exp $
>
> With this version made from sources updated yesterday the headphones no
> longer work:
> /boot/amd64/snd_hda.ko:
> $FreeBSD: src/sys/dev/sound/pci/hda/hdac.c,v 1.61 2008/09/16 20:03:34 mav Exp $

This version was completely rewritten. That and it's consequences was
actively discussed on this and multimedia list.

> I can provide verbose boot output from both kernels, if desired.  Basically, it looks
> like the headphone output gets disabled with the new driver.

Usually such problem means that you have broken BIOS. Verbose output
usually shows where the problem is and writing some device hints usually
allows to fix the problem. Read updated snd_hda man page and if it not
help - send your verbose output to me.

--
Alexander Motin