Re: regression in HDA functionality

From: Gary Jennejohn <gary.jennejohn_at_freenet.de>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 14:42:43 +0200
On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 10:40:15 +0300
Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> > There's seems to have been a regression in HDA functionality with the
> > ATI SB600 High Definition Audio Controller since the 200809 snapshot
> > (amd64) was made.
> >
> > With this version of the driver from the snapshot, the headphone output
> > works:
> > /boot/kernel/snd_hda.ko:
> > $FreeBSD: src/sys/dev/sound/pci/hda/hdac.c,v 1.55 2008/07/15 02:34:44 delphij Exp $
> >
> > With this version made from sources updated yesterday the headphones no
> > longer work:
> > /boot/amd64/snd_hda.ko:
> > $FreeBSD: src/sys/dev/sound/pci/hda/hdac.c,v 1.61 2008/09/16 20:03:34 mav Exp $
>
> This version was completely rewritten. That and it's consequences was
> actively discussed on this and multimedia list.

Well, this is a new motherboard.  With the old mobo I never had any
problems so I basically ignored the discussions.

> > I can provide verbose boot output from both kernels, if desired.  Basically, it looks
> > like the headphone output gets disabled with the new driver.
>
> Usually such problem means that you have broken BIOS. Verbose output
> usually shows where the problem is and writing some device hints usually
> allows to fix the problem. Read updated snd_hda man page and if it not
> help - send your verbose output to me.

I read the man page but I must admit that it didn't help me any.  I
tried setting some device hints but they didn't help either.  I'm
obviously failing to understand something.

See dmesg_verbose_amd64 and sndstat under ~gj on freefall.

---
Gary Jennejohn