Re: Intel GMA x4500 / xorg help

From: Adam McDougall <mcdouga9_at_egr.msu.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 22:07:11 -0400
On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 04:01:18PM -0400, Robert Noland wrote:

  On Sun, 2008-09-21 at 21:48 -0400, Robert Noland wrote:
  > On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 10:37 +0900, Tony Sim wrote:
  > > Yes, i've read those reviews.  I also know that the current port tree seems
  > > to have the latest version of the driver.  I've also read, however, that
  > > drivers in Freebsd, by default, have disabled support for Intel's later
  > > graphics cards, and this seems to be in agreement in the description of the
  > > port....  and furthermore, my laptop, which has the said graphic card,
  > > constantly crashes whenever xorg tries to deal with the graphics card.  By
  > > this i mean the entire freebsd crashes...
  > >
  > > So since it apparently works with linux and xorg, the driver is there... the
  > > question is, does it work in freebsd?
  >
  > I am not currently aware of any such limitation.  That said, I probably
  > need to sync up our agp_i810 with a few new pci id's.  We run the same
  > drm code that linux does, though I'm still not exactly clear on what
  > features they have actually shipped with a release.  All Intel cards are
  > "AGP" and therefore have to use agp_i810 which I suppose I am
  > responsible for now.  Send me pci id's and I can check on it...

  I have a patch for this now.  It is located at
  http://people.freebsd.org/~rnoland/agp_i810-g33-g45.patch

  I need testers with g33 and g45 series chips.

  robert.

Tested on 7.1 from today, previously this did not detect but now it does:

vgapci0: <VGA-compatible display> port 0xef98-0xef9f mem 0xf6c00000-0xf6ffffff,0xe0000000-0xefffffff
irq 16 at device 2.0 on pci0
agp0: <Intel GM45 SVGA controller> on vgapci0
agp0: detected 32252k stolen memory
agp0: aperture size is 256M
agp0: AGP_I810_PGTBL_CTL: 00000001
agp0: AGP_I855_GCC1: 0x50
agp0: AGP_I915_MSAC: 0x00
agp0: Aperture resource size: 268435456 bytes

Thanks!  A few times I've seen X lock up and exit (I don't have the error
handy) but it has only been when I was using fluxbox.  I'm currently using
twm while gnome compiles but I kindof assume that problem has more to do
with the intel video driver rather than agp?