Re: Intel GMA x4500 / xorg help

From: Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 22:49:16 -0400
On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 22:07 -0400, Adam McDougall wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 04:01:18PM -0400, Robert Noland wrote:
>
>   On Sun, 2008-09-21 at 21:48 -0400, Robert Noland wrote:
>   > On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 10:37 +0900, Tony Sim wrote:
>   > > Yes, i've read those reviews.  I also know that the current port tree seems
>   > > to have the latest version of the driver.  I've also read, however, that
>   > > drivers in Freebsd, by default, have disabled support for Intel's later
>   > > graphics cards, and this seems to be in agreement in the description of the
>   > > port....  and furthermore, my laptop, which has the said graphic card,
>   > > constantly crashes whenever xorg tries to deal with the graphics card.  By
>   > > this i mean the entire freebsd crashes...
>   > >
>   > > So since it apparently works with linux and xorg, the driver is there... the
>   > > question is, does it work in freebsd?
>   >
>   > I am not currently aware of any such limitation.  That said, I probably
>   > need to sync up our agp_i810 with a few new pci id's.  We run the same
>   > drm code that linux does, though I'm still not exactly clear on what
>   > features they have actually shipped with a release.  All Intel cards are
>   > "AGP" and therefore have to use agp_i810 which I suppose I am
>   > responsible for now.  Send me pci id's and I can check on it...
>
>   I have a patch for this now.  It is located at
>   http://people.freebsd.org/~rnoland/agp_i810-g33-g45.patch
>
>   I need testers with g33 and g45 series chips.
>
>   robert.
>
> Tested on 7.1 from today, previously this did not detect but now it does:
>
> vgapci0: <VGA-compatible display> port 0xef98-0xef9f mem 0xf6c00000-0xf6ffffff,0xe0000000-0xefffffff
> irq 16 at device 2.0 on pci0
> agp0: <Intel GM45 SVGA controller> on vgapci0
> agp0: detected 32252k stolen memory
> agp0: aperture size is 256M
> agp0: AGP_I810_PGTBL_CTL: 00000001
> agp0: AGP_I855_GCC1: 0x50
> agp0: AGP_I915_MSAC: 0x00
> agp0: Aperture resource size: 268435456 bytes
>
> Thanks!  A few times I've seen X lock up and exit (I don't have the error
> handy) but it has only been when I was using fluxbox.  I'm currently using
> twm while gnome compiles but I kindof assume that problem has more to do
> with the intel video driver rather than agp?

If you are on 7.1 then it can't be drm.  The chip that you have is the
one that apparently behaves like a 965, but the output looks reasonable.
I have patches for RELENG_7 that should enable drm as well.  See my
"latest drm patches" thread on freebsd-x11_at_.  Both of these are now
committed to HEAD.

robert.