Re: Call for testers: Atheros AR8121(L1E)/AR8113/AR8114(L2E) ethernet

From: Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 20:48:45 +0900
On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 01:06:37PM +0900, To freebsd-current_at_FreeBSD.org wrote:

 > Hi,
 >
 > I had been working on writing a driver for Atheros AR8121(L1E),
 > AR8113/AR8114(L2E) ethernet controllers since Jeremy Chadwick sent
 > the hardware to me. I think it's feature complete state and time
 > for more testing for stability or some edge cases. I guess AR81xx
 > is commonly found on newer Asus EeePC or P5Q series of Asus
 > motherboard. If you have AR81xx controller would you give it spin
 > and let me know how it goes? You can get the latest driver at the
 > following URL.
 > http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/ate/if_ate.c
 > http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/ate/if_atereg.h
 > http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/ate/if_atevar.h
 > http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/ate/Makefile
 > or
 > http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/ate/ate.20081030.tar.gz
 > The driver should build without problems on CURRENT, stable/7.
 >
 > ATM the driver supports the following hardware features.
 >  - TSO
 >  - Rx TCP/UDP/IP checksum offload
 >  - VLAN tag insertion/stripping
 >  - Jumbo frame
 >  - WOL
 > It seems that hardware supports Tx checksum offload but I couldn't
 > make it work for TCP segments. Only short TCP segments seem to work
 > so I disabled Tx checksum offload.
 > Note, the hardware does not support descriptor based DMA on Rx side
 > so driver have to copy recevied frames to pass them to upper stack
 > so it will consume a lot of CPU cycles if you push the hardware to
 > the limit.

As bruffer pointed out the device name chosen conflicts with other
driver in tree so I renamed it to ale(4).The URL for the driver is
http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/ale/if_ale.c
http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/ale/if_alereg.h
http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/ale/if_alevar.h
http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/ale/Makefile