Re: System, diagnose thyself: auto-documentation for crashes

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 10:35:49 -0400
On Saturday 30 August 2008 04:48:24 am Kostik Belousov wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 05:26:16PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:

> > > I'm not finding that anywhere, either on my systems or on Google.
> >
> > It's in HEAD.
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/usr.sbin/crashinfo/crashinfo.sh
>
> John, why not MFCing it ? MFC cannot break anything :), it is a standalone
> utility, and it definitely useful to have bigger test base.

It is on the list, I've just been a bit busy recently. :)  Also, I didn't want
to merge it to 7.x until I fixed vmstat and iostat to work on core dumps
again.

> I propose to add some note to the manpage, explicitely mentioning
> experimantal status of utility, and the fact that both user interface
> and output format are subject to change. I imagine this is the only
> obstacle for MFC.

Actually, Y! has used a script like this in production for years, so I don't
foresee much in the way of changes in the future.  One change would be to add
a run of ddb to dump the capture buffer from a crash dump.  Another change
would be to re-enable w(1) if it ever becomes useful on crash dumps again.

--
John Baldwin