Re: Sun Neptune NIU support

From: Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 19:11:42 +1000
On 2008-Sep-09 01:49:43 -0700, Kip Macy <kmacy_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 12:50 AM, Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy_at_optushome.com.au> wrote:
>> I have a Sun X4447A quad GigE card that I would like to use with
>> FreeBSD.  It is supported by Solaris nxge(7D) and Linux niu.  The
>> PCIid is 0x108e[Sun] 0xabcd.
>>
>> Whilst there's a nxge(4) driver in FreeBSD, this appears to be for
>> a totally different NIC.
>
>It is for a neterion card.

I wasn't sure if Sun had rebadged it - but obviously not.

>> Is anyone working on a FreeBSD driver for this card?
>>
>Back when I had time I asked for the docs. They were not forthcoming.
>I don't know if they're available now. Marvell owns the IP rights.

http://wikis.sun.com/display/FOSSdocs points to
http://mediacast.sun.com/share/barton808/Neptune_PRM1.4.2o.pdf I
haven't looked at it closely enough to determine whether you could
write a driver from it.  (And, at this stage, I don't have time to
write the driver myself, though I'm willing to help debug it if
someone has a alpha or beta one lying around).

>> (Note that whilst I want to use the card in a PC, I believe the
>> embedded NIC in the Sun T-2 is the same device).
>
>It is largely, although I I don't know if the programming interface is
>the same. The NIU is documented in the same PRM as the T2.

The FOSSdocs site points to the T2 architecture supplement for the
T2 NIU.  I haven't gotten to that document yet.

--
Peter Jeremy