Re: msk(4) issues

From: Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:55:01 +0900
On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 03:03:36PM -0400, David Schultz wrote:
 > On Wed, Sep 17, 2008, Ian Freislich wrote:
 > > Hi
 > >
 > > I'm having an issue with the msk hardware in my laptop.  It stops
 > > transmitting or recieving sometimes, always triggered by periods
 > > of intense network load.
 > >
 > > Sep 16 18:39:31 apple kernel: msk0: watchdog timeout (missed Tx interrupts) -- recovering
 > > Sep 16 18:40:35 apple kernel: msk0: watchdog timeout (missed Tx interrupts) -- recovering
 > > Sep 16 18:41:41 apple kernel: msk0: watchdog timeout (missed Tx interrupts) -- recovering
 > >
 > > But it never recovers.
 >
 > I have the same problem. Disabling MSI reduces the frequency with
 > which it occurs from once a day to once a month or so.

Did it also happen after heavy network loads? If so I guess there
is another bug in the hardware. Because the watchdog timeout
indicated missing interrupts msk(4) didn't take actual hardware
reset. If MSI work without problems it may indicate hardware is in
stuck condition under heavy loads. I thought I fixed this kind of
issue long ago as increasing FIFO threshold to flush received
pause frames seemed to fixed the issue. I'll have to think again.

--
Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon