Re: KDE4 and input events stalled

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 18:45:29 -0700
Tim Kientzle wrote:
> Running -CURRENT r190666 and finally got KDE4
> to run (by running dbus and hald), but the mouse
> and keyboard input are very wonky.  USB mouse
> and keyboard, of course.
>
> For example, if I click on a button almost
> anywhere in the KDE interface (including
> Seamonkey):
>   - Button down
>   - See button depress
>   - Button up
>   -  ??  nothing happens ??
>   - Move mouse
>   - Button up, event occurs
>
> I occasionally see this with keyboard input
> as well; keys don't appear until I move or
> click the mouse.  This is less consistent,
> though.

Solved that problem:  I had gotten x.org
working without hald, which required adding this
to /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "ServerFlags"
	Option	"AllowEmptyInput" "off"
EndSection

Of course, KDE4 required me to enable hald,
which requires removing that option <sigh>.
Removing it fixed my input wonkiness.

Now to dig out the instructions for getting
my Ctrl key back when using hald.

Then, I'll try to figure out why kdm works if I
start it manually after the system is
running but kills the screen if I try
starting it from /etc/ttys.

Tim