Re: Hal and KDM breakage (was Re: KDE4 and input events stalled)

From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 02:40:08 -0400
On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 22:49 -0700, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> Robert Noland wrote:
>
> Yep, that seems to be the issue.  I got
> it to work finally by commenting out this
> one line from /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald:
>
> #start_cmd="hald_start"
>
> In particular, this allows hald to startup
> in the regular sequence without that
> odd delay.

The problem is due to the fact that console-kit-daemon will not work if
it starts up before init has started the ttys.  Therefore, hald needs to
come up after the getty processes have been spawned (i.e. after init has
started the ttys).  If the ttys were started as part of the rc.d
process, this could be avoided.

This is why GNOME makes people use the rc.d script to start gdm.  It
just won't work out of /etc/ttys.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome_at_FreeBSD.org