Re: axe(4) (Belkin F5D5055) problems

From: Niki Denev <ndenev_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 23:15:47 +0300
On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Sepherosa Ziehau <sepherosa_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, but unfortunately it is for model 3 or model 4. Yours is model
>>> 1. In fact I have no idea whether model 1 is ET1011C. It seems that
>>
>> I was wrong. The datasheet is for model 1, but revision number is
>> 4.
>>
>>> there are ET1011A or ET1011B PHYs.
>>>
>>> Sepherosa, do you have more information on ET1011A/ET1011B PHY?
>
> Nope, LSI site only has et1011c data sheet.  However, the model in the
> data sheet mismatches the PHY model on my available hardware.
>
>> It looks odd to me, by chance is model 4 typo? Does et(4) really
>
> Nah, its not typo, at least the hardwares I have (one OEM and one EVB)
> uses model 4.
>
>> recognize the PHY as truephy(4)? Also CCed to Xin Li who ported the
>> et(4) to FreeBSD.
>

> --
> Live Free or Die

I have temporarily replaced the belkin USB ethernet interface with an
Apple USB ethernet,
which also uses the axe(4) driver, but is only 100Mbit/s.
As I suspected the negotiation problems do not exist with it, and
everything seemed ok, until
it started to stop working exactly like the previous adapter.
Pings start to return "buffer space not available" and replugging or
"usbconfig reset" the interface
returns it to normal status.

It looks like that the packet loss that I've experienced with the
Belkin gigabit adabter is one problem,
and the interface stopping to work another.

P.S.: I don't know if it could be my USB hardware, because the machine
is a little bit "exotic",
an HP ex470 MediaSmartServer, which was supposedly designed to run
only embedded version of
Windows and has a nasty SiS chipset in it (with the unsupported sis191
gigabit adapter)