Re: axe(4) (Belkin F5D5055) problems

From: Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 11:49:02 +0900
On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 11:15:47PM +0300, Niki Denev wrote:

[...]

I've read the datasheet but I still don't understand why dsp
programming in truephy_reset is required. Anyway would you try
attached patch? And show me dmesg output generated by truephy(4).

> I have temporarily replaced the belkin USB ethernet interface with an
> Apple USB ethernet,
> which also uses the axe(4) driver, but is only 100Mbit/s.
> As I suspected the negotiation problems do not exist with it, and
> everything seemed ok, until
> it started to stop working exactly like the previous adapter.
> Pings start to return "buffer space not available" and replugging or
> "usbconfig reset" the interface
> returns it to normal status.

This sounds like different issue to me. Let's focus on the
truephy(4) until axe(4) get a valid link report.

> It looks like that the packet loss that I've experienced with the
> Belkin gigabit adabter is one problem,
> and the interface stopping to work another.
>
> P.S.: I don't know if it could be my USB hardware, because the machine
> is a little bit "exotic",
> an HP ex470 MediaSmartServer, which was supposedly designed to run
> only embedded version of
> Windows and has a nasty SiS chipset in it (with the unsupported sis191
> gigabit adapter)

There had been a post for SiS191 driver. Check mailing list
archives. Unfortunately I don't have SiS191 controller so I
couldn't write a driver and commit the posted driver to tree.
Even though the controller is not for high performance servers it
would be enough to most desktop users. At least SiS controllers
does not seem to require special workarounds for silicon bugs which
are commonly found on RealTek/Marvell controllers.

Alternatively you can use ndis(4) to use your SiS191 controller. I
don't know whether ndis(4) works for this controller though.