Re: xorg loops

From: Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 02:35:18 -0500
On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 09:21 +0200, Alex Dupre wrote:
> Robert Noland ha scritto:
> > The root of the issue is that there are just too many ways to configure
> > input devices... Particularly mice.  Marcus, jkim and I have tried to
> > make accommodations for all of the cases, but it gets rather tricky.
> > Users can have mice configured using psm0, ums0, (serial even), moused
> > and we have to be able to figure out if they are statically configured
> > in X or not, based on whether or not X has already opened one of the
> > file descriptors.  Based on analyzing all of that, we decide whether or
> > not to advertise to X that it should attach the device.
>
> Thanks for your work and explanation.
>
> > If you are using moused, then hald *should* recognize that and
> > advertise /dev/sysmouse to X.  Additional input devices, get added via
> > moused and hald knows that /dev/sysmouse is already opened by X, so it
> > shouldn't re-advertise the same port again.
>
> Actually I have a common USB mouse. xorg.conf contains the following
> section (autogenerated by "X -configure"):
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>          Identifier  "Mouse0"
>          Driver      "mouse"
>          Option      "Protocol" "auto"
>          Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
>          Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
> EndSection
>
> moused is not enabled in rc.conf, but the following process is started
> at boot by devd:
>
> /usr/sbin/moused -p /dev/ums0 -t auto -I /var/run/moused.ums0.pid

Right, all usb mice start moused unless moused_nondefault_enable is set
to no in rc.conf.  This configuration should be fine, in fact if your
using hal, the above is totally ignored.  I generally use gnome, unless
I'm working on drm drivers that are either broken or don't yet support
enough whiz bang to run gnome.  In those cases, I'm just using startx to
get twm going for basic testing.  Your configuration should work fine in
all of those cases.  kdm and xdm when started from /etc/ttys are still a
problem apparently, at least some of the time.

> I think this is one of the most common scenario. I use kdm from
> /etc/ttys, but it shouldn't be related, since I did tests with "X
> -config" from terminal console with the same results.
> Is it normal that hal-device doesn't show any mouse?

So, I think your issue is probably related to the other thread. "Re: Hal
and KDM breakage".

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>