Re: OT: 2d password

From: Christof Schulze <christof.schulze_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 13:17:41 +0200
Am Montag 20 April 2009 11:28:02 schrieb Kỳ Anh, Huỳnh:
> [ ways of generating passwords]
>
> Finally I get into 2-d moving on the keyboard as described in my first
> post. I check some passwords in http://www.testyourpassword.com/ and see
> that some stupid patterns on keyboard show a "STRONG" status. I event
> get the BEST password with some simple moving around symbols and
> letters.
I good way to remember secure passwords was presented in the uptimes
magazine a while ago in an article about passwords and their security.

Good passwords contain a lot of entropy.
Also the entropy of letters in the beginning of words seems to be higher
than the entropy towards the end of words in western languages.
The proposal that the author Thomas Maus is making is this:

Pick a sentence and take the first character(s) from each word to be your
password.

Example
"I like doing laundry wednesday evening 8pm."

the resulting password would be:
"Ildlwe8p"

It is easy to remember because the sentence is natural language. Also it is
fairly easy to come up with.
This article provides some good insights into the effectivity of password
policies. The bottom line is that the way these policies are used today
cause weaker passwords because they work against the user. In the end some
proposals are made what to do to obtain better passwords and how to
implement a policy for stronger passwords.

Regards

Christof