Re: OT: 2d password

From: Kỳ Anh, Huỳnh <xkyanh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 16:28:02 +0700
On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 10:20:45 +0200
Jelte Jansen <jelte_at_NLnetLabs.nl> wrote:

> Anthony M. Rasat wrote:
> > Kỳ Anh, Huỳnh wrote:
> >> I've just found a quite good way: use 2-d moving on the keyboard.
> >
> > Do you know that many people has following password?
> >

> Correct me if i'm wrong, for i'm not really up-to-date on password
> cracking algorithms, but i think that keyboard patterns are amongst
> the thing cracking tools try before switching to brute force, so in
> that sense this wouldn't make a very strong password.

Thank you all for your comments.

In fact, I use generated password and PublicKey to login to my remote hosts. I also following some basic rules (for e.g, change password regurarly). I just need half-generated passwords for some popular purposes (local machines, for e.g). Some good ways are also very useful to help end users to protect themself.

Because it's very hard to remember generated password, it's stupidly that I used to use some mathematics function to generate password (and keep that function secret). But maths. functions is not easy to use (need a computer to generate password).

Finally I get into 2-d moving on the keyboard as described in my first post. I check some passwords in http://www.testyourpassword.com/ and see that some stupid patterns on keyboard show a "STRONG" status. I event get the BEST password with some simple moving around symbols and letters.

Though Athony said "qweasdzxc" is a popular I still wonder whether we can use complex patterns on keyboard? And what's tool that help me to check password strength?

Regards,

PS: !!WARNING!!

Discussing this topic may cause your habits to be known by others. I don't have intend to gather your information. Thank you for your understanding.

--
Ky Anh, Huynh
Homepage: http://viettug.org/