Re: SATA DVD drive no longer works

From: Jung-uk Kim <jkim_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 14:15:12 -0400
On Friday 24 April 2009 03:34 am, Diego Depaoli wrote:
> 2009/4/22 Jung-uk Kim <jkim_at_freebsd.org>:
> > I don't think ATI/AMD SB700 issue is related to the nVidia
> > problem. Please try the attached patch for ATI/AMD south bridge.
> >  It is not a complete patch yet but you should be able to use
> > "combined mode" for SB700, I think. ;-)
>
> You think right, now I manage to see my dvd!
> In the next days I'll make some deeper test.

Thanks.

For the record, SB700 has additional two-port SATA on the ATA
controller unlike SB600.  These two SATA ports appear as one ATA
channel and only work in legacy mode -- this mode is so called
"combined mode" in BIOS configuration.  That means, if you connect
your DVD drive on one of these ports, it will be running in PATA
mode, not in SATA mode.  If the combined mode is disabled from BIOS,
the two SATA ports disappear and it will work exactly like SB600
single-channel ATA controller.

FYI...

Jung-uk Kim