Re: Problematic upgrade from 7.2 to 8.0 with ZFS file system

From: Edho P Arief <edhoprima_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 14:32:12 +0700
On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 3:31 PM, chris scott<kraduk_at_googlemail.com> wrote:
> how about doing things the opensolaris way. I have a pure zfs system with
> the root fs stored on system/root. This could cloned, to system/root-8, the
> new world and kernel installed, then the relevant bits tweaked in the
> loader.conf and zpool. If all goes wrong you switch the variables back and
> switch to system/root.
>
> It would also be nice to have some option in beastie to select your root fs
> for completeness

how does this sound?

fs structure:
rpool/root/freebsd => / (bootfs)
rpool/root =>  /rpool/root
rpool/swap => swap
rpool/usr => /usr
rpool/usr/home => /usr/home
rpool/var => /var
rpool/var/empty => /var/empty

upgrade steps:
1. clone rpool/root/freebsd to rpool/root/freebsd-2
2. mount rpool/root/freebsd-2 somewhere
3. mount nullfs /usr and /var to where rpool/root/freebsd-2 mounted
4. chroot to rpool/root/freebsd-2, do freebsd-update (twice - to
upgrade userland too)
5. reinstall bootloader on rpool/root/freebsd-2 (to enable zfs loader)
6. set bootfs to rpool/root/freebsd-2
7. edit fstab in rpool/root/freebsd-2 to reflect change
8. reboot