Re: RFC: ATA to CAM integration patch

From: Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling_at_fokus.fraunhofer.de>
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 11:32:01 +0200
>2) Audio CD stuff on the DVD drive gets cranky.

>   - cdrecord doesn't seem to like it anymore.  -scanbus says
>       cdrecord: Inappropriate ioctl for device. CAMIOCOMMAND ioctl
>       failed.  Cannot open SCSI driver.

Did someone iomplement a CAM driver that does not support the ioctl
for sending SCSI commands, or do you have different problems?

>   - Using cdda2wav to try and rip an audio track using the cd0 device
>     scrolls a lot of
>       Sorry, this driver and/or drive does not support cdda reading.
>     and such errors.  Guessing the bus/id/lun from the devlist gives
>     what I assume is the same ioctl error from above.

Be careful: if you give a /dev/* parameter to cdda2wav, it will use cooked
ioctls from the kernel to read audio and I know of no operating system that
does this in a recent way. If you like to get the best quality, you need to
send RAW SCSI commands directly from cdda2wav.

Do you use a recent cdrtools from:

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/
http://cdrecord.berlios.de

Note that this is slow today as a switch died yesterday and I needed to reroute
the data though other networks without physical device access.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg_at_schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       js_at_cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)