Re: Cdparanoia

From: b. f. <bf1783_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 01:15:09 +0000
>Hi. While folks are looking at cdparanoia, would it be possible to
>update the port to the current release of cdparanoia? I got stuck
>trying to make a fresh port of it myself using the current port as
>a guide. It seemed like it would be a small changeset but it got
>me. Thanks :)

The new version uses some Linux 2.6 SG_IO by default.  You may have to
make some changes to get it to work.  You've seen the developer's
manifesto?:

"Paranoia is Linux only (although it runs on all the flavors of linux.
It is not only for i386 or x86_64).

In the past, there was effort to make this library as portable as
possible across other OS platforms. As time has worn on, I've come to
realize that most cross-platform libraries that try to bring a
completely uniform interface to a wide variety of very different OSes:

1. fail to be all that uniform
2. limit functionality to some subset of what any given platform can do
3. introduce additional lyers of bugs
4. just don't work very well

I'm a Linux user. I'm a Linux developer. As a user and developer, I
don't really give a damn about other platforms. I want my apps to be
the best Linux apps they can be. Full stop."

So much for FOSS ecumenism.

b.