Re: Call for regression and performance testing - 8.0

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:47:19 +0100 (BST)
On Wed, 12 Aug 2009, Mike Tancsa wrote:

>> As we're approaching 8.0 BETA3, now would be a really good time to start
>> identifying functional and performance regressions from the 7.x series.
>> We've done a mixed job at this in the past, but when it comes to "I'll do
>> better some day", there's no time like the present :-).  Some notes:
>
> Other than the removal of whats below from the kernel, what other
> adjustments should be made to make more accurate comparisons ?

The main thing I'm aware of is malloc debugging in userspace -- the best way
to do this is to uncomment MALLOC_PRODUCTION in src/lib/libc/stdlib/malloc.c:

   /*
    * MALLOC_PRODUCTION disables assertions and statistics gathering.  It also
    * defaults the A and J runtime options to off.  These settings are appropriate
    * for production systems.
    */
   /* #define      MALLOC_PRODUCTION */

You can also manually disable many of the debugging features in malloc(3)
using malloc.conf -- however, it looks to me like some things, such as magic
number checking, etc, are basically a compile time-only configuration option,
so I'd encourage using MALLOC_PRODUCTION instead.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge