Re: ahci(4) hang reproduced, this time it was cdrdao scanbus

From: Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling_at_fokus.fraunhofer.de>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 14:18:38 +0200
>wanted to burn an audio cd today and ran `cdrdao scanbus' to find out
>cdrdao's --device arg for the optical drive (turns out its the same

why do you use cdrdao for writing an audio CD?

>numbering as camcontrol devlist reports i.e.
>        <PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-216D 1.09>    at scbus3 target 0 lun 0 (cd1,pass3)
>becomes --device 3,0,0) - after which ahci(4) hung again with the board's
>disk access led on solid.  This time tho I took a photo:
>        http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/ahcihang1.jpg

This may be a bug in the driver, a driver is not allowed to do retries in case
that a command was send via SCSI pass through.

> cdrdao is in ports as sysutils/cdrdao and is mostly used for writing
>or cloning audio cds or vcds.  (I haven't tried cdrecord's -scanbus
>command tho I wouldn't be surprised if it behaves the same...  cdrecord
>is in ports as sysutils/cdrtools and sysutils/cdrtools-devel; you usually
>want cdrtools-devel.)

Cloning CDs is not really implemented in cdrdao, if you really like to
clone, use the clone feature from cdrtools:

readcd -clone f=img.out
cdreccord -v -raw96r -clone img.out

but note that there is a quality loss with cloning, I recommend to call this:

cdda2wav -vall cddb=0 -paranoia -Owav -B
cdrecord -v -sao -text -useinfo *.wav

for best quality of a CD-Audio copy.

>Oh and btw, the actual burning (after reboot + fsck) then went just
>fine, its just the scanbus command that ahci(4) apparently doesn't like...

If you like to see what causes the hang, call:

cdrecord -scanbus -V

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg_at_schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       js_at_cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)