8.0-BETA 3 has problems

From: Dan Allen <danallen46_at_airwired.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:44:37 -0600
I just downloaded the 8.0 Beta 3 CD, the regular Intel version.  I
tried to install it on my Mac using the Q/Qemu emulator.  All previous
versions of FreeBSD since 6.0 and later have worked just fine on this
emulator.  FreeBSD 7.2 installs and works fine on it, for example.

FreeBSD 8.0 Beta 3 dies in the install.  The resulting installation
does not boot and cannot find a kernel.  I do not know anything more
than what I have said, and yes, I know that this is not very helpful.
I did a standard install, answered  the questions, said "yes I really
want to do all of this", the install began, and the next thing I know
everything was toasted - the emulator had shut down the process.  When
I try and boot it up from the resulting hard disk image, it cannot
find a kernel.

Is this really Beta software?  It feels incredibly fragile compared to
previous releases of BSD.  I found major problems with 8.0 Beta 2 on a
Dell laptop a few weeks ago as well.

I think 8.0 should be held up and not shipped like this.  It will give
FreeBSD a bad image.  Just one guy's opinion... (who has shipped a lot
of software at Apple and at Microsoft in years past...)

Dan Allen
Independent SW Developer