Re: Root exploit for FreeBSD

From: Steve Bertrand <steve_at_ibctech.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 09:59:53 -0500
Bill Moran wrote:

>> >From my information security manager:
>>
>> 	FreeBSD isn't much used within the University (I understand) and has a
>> 	(comparatively) poor security record. Most recently, for example:
>>
>> 	http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Root-exploit-for-FreeBSD-873352.html
>
> Are you trying to make your infosec guy look like an idiot?

He doesn't really have to _try_, does he?

I have always thought that an infosec person should *know* what they
have running within their own network, and furthermore, gather his
comparative analysis from somewhere other than the
dept-of-some-guys-blog. Perhaps these are not the job requirements of a
security person.

Steve