Re: g95 as a system fortran compiler?

From: Scot Hetzel <swhetzel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 12:56:37 -0600
On 12/20/09, Anton Shterenlikht <mexas_at_bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
> I'm a user, not a developer, so I might be talking nonsense,
>  in which case I apologise.
>
>  I think the lack of a fortran compiler in the base OS is
>  a significant minus of an otherwise very general OS.

The reason a fortran compiler is not in the base OS is because none of
the base OS sources require a fortran compiler to compile the source.
And it would require someone to maintain the fortran sources in the
FreeBSD svn to keep it updated.

A lack of the fortran compiler in the base OS is not a minus, it's
actually a plus having it as a port.   The fortran ports will see
regular updates to them, while a version in the base OS would stay
frozen to an older release for each FreeBSD release.

>  I think inclusion/exclusion of system fortran is best
>  controlled via /etc/src.conf, for those who have no use
>  for it.

The best way to add fortran to the system is to use either pkg_add or
install the port:

pkg_add -r g95-0.92.20090624.tbz

cd /usr/ports/lang/g95 ; make install

Scot