Re: Systems running hot?

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 13:26:26 +0100
Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org> writes:
> In the last weeks (I generally update to the latest HEAD daily) It
> seems that my -current laptop is running hot temperature wise, even
> when it's idle, or nearly so. The temperature sensor (via wmbsdbatt)
> generally stays in the 80s C, as opposed to the 70s, and the fan is
> regularly on its "medium" speed as opposed to the low speed.

The maximum operating temperature for a Core 2 Duo is 75 C.  The idle
temperature depends on environmental conditions, but a reasonable
working temperature under light use (reading your email and browsing the
web) would be 30 C.  The numbers you quote are well beyond the point
where the CPU should start downstepping (and eventually shut down) to
protect itself.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no