Re: Some notes on RootOnZFS article in wiki

From: Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 09:21:20 -0600
On Mon, 2009-12-21 at 06:00 -0900, Mel Flynn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yesterday went through the RootOnZFS (gpt mirror version) and here's a few
> notes:
> 1) You cannot use the install CD. It doesn't have a livefs and so you can
> never do the actual install in 2.2. The DVD will work and the USB image. I
> ended up using the livefs CD and the USB image, cause I didn't want to loose
> the work I already did.
> 2) `gpart set -a active -i 1 ad4' gave me 'active: device not configured'.
> This error isn't mentioned (debugflags didn't help) in the wiki nor the
> missing DIAGNOSTICS section in the gpart man page. In my case the system
> booted, but it's nice to know what the error means and whether you can ignore
> it.

This step *was* only required for some BIOS and I'm not sure that it
ever worked as above.  Previously, I had to use fdisk to set the active
bit in the PMBR.  In at least 7-STABLE+, installing bootcode via gpart
will set the active bit in the PMBR, so this step is never required.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD