Re: GEOM_PART: a quick update on logical partitions

From: Martin <nakal_at_web.de>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 00:45:34 +0100
Am Tue, 03 Feb 2009 10:15:50 -0800
schrieb Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt_at_mac.com>:

> What happens if you add a partition to the head of the list?

Well, I would never do this, because usually this creates mess with
drive letters on MS-DOS and MS-Windows.

Then, it is quite unusual to insert a new logical partition and copy
all entries in the list one place down. First because people usually
allocate the logical partitions from the start of the "extended
partition" container and move on till it's fully allocated.

Btw, the entries should be sorted to avoid problems with older systems.
I remember that win95-fdisk will destroy your whole partition table, if
you don't sort it. But this is perhaps not that important here.

> > Second thing is, why do you need something like "s5"?
>
> That's the how logical partitions are named in 7.x

I understand it is for compatibility, but the softlinks may introduce
new issues, mostly with all the nice geom features. That's why I tried
to ask about how you would support the suffixes that geom modules
automatically create? Would it still work?

--
Martin