Re: GEOM_PART: a quick update on logical partitions

From: Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 16:30:14 -0800
On Feb 3, 2009, at 3:45 PM, Martin wrote:

> Am Tue, 03 Feb 2009 10:15:50 -0800
> schrieb Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt_at_mac.com>:
>
>> What happens if you add a partition to the head of the list?
>
> Well, I would never do this, because usually this creates mess with
> drive letters on MS-DOS and MS-Windows.

I don't see a mess with XP. I can easily remove the first logical
partition and then fill the space again...

> Then, it is quite unusual to insert a new logical partition and copy
> all entries in the list one place down.

What do you mean copy?

> First because people usually
> allocate the logical partitions from the start of the "extended
> partition" container and move on till it's fully allocated.

Sure, but you can remove any logical partition in any
order, which means that subsequent adds can also be
in any order...

> Btw, the entries should be sorted to avoid problems with older
> systems.
> I remember that win95-fdisk will destroy your whole partition table,
> if
> you don't sort it. But this is perhaps not that important here.
>
>>> Second thing is, why do you need something like "s5"?
>>
>> That's the how logical partitions are named in 7.x
>
> I understand it is for compatibility, but the softlinks may introduce
> new issues, mostly with all the nice geom features. That's why I tried
> to ask about how you would support the suffixes that geom modules
> automatically create? Would it still work?

Yes, but those will be using the "fixed" names, not the
softlinks.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt_at_mac.com