Re: USB2 - libusb20 vs devel/libusb

From: Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky_at_c2i.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 10:49:26 +0100
On Wednesday 04 February 2009, Vladimir Grebenschikov wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've tried libusb, looks like it works more or less.
>
> What is the right policy about libusb* libraries ?
>
> I have security/libfprint (finger-print reader that uses ugen device)
> that stop working after upgrade.
>
> Following entry in /etc/libmap.conf make it works somehow
> libusb-0.1.so		libusb20.so
> libusb-0.1.so.8		libusb20.so.1
>
> It allows library to access usb device, but pam authentication with it
> still does not work ( looks like it reads fingerprint correctly, but
> fails later ).

Have you checked the permissions of your device?

usbconfig dump_access

> What is right way to handle that situation ?
> Is there universal library, that will work for both stacks ?

I was thinking about doing some detection inside libusb in ports, but
currently you have to switch manually. On problem is that the libusb code in
ports is not BSD licensed, so we cannot just copy in the old UGEN support :-(

/*
 * (Free|Open|Net)BSD USB support
 *
 * Derived from Linux version by Richard Tobin.
 *
 * $Id: bsd.c,v 1.33 2006/03/04 01:16:10 jerdfelt Exp $
 * $Name:  $
 *
 * This library is covered by the LGPL, read LICENSE for details.
 */

On the other hand, libusbhid, automatically detects USB stack and switches
everything accordingly.

> PS. I didn't try yet libgphoto2 (it also uses ugen directly).

--HPS