Re: USB2 - libusb20 vs devel/libusb

From: Vladimir Grebenschikov <vova_at_fbsd.ru>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 13:04:04 +0300
On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 10:49 +0100, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

> > I have security/libfprint (finger-print reader that uses ugen device)
> > that stop working after upgrade.
> >
> > Following entry in /etc/libmap.conf make it works somehow
> > libusb-0.1.so		libusb20.so
> > libusb-0.1.so.8	libusb20.so.1
> >
> > It allows library to access usb device, but pam authentication with it
> > still does not work ( looks like it reads fingerprint correctly, but
> > fails later ).
>
> Have you checked the permissions of your device?
>
> usbconfig dump_access

I guess problem is not in access, it reads device
$ sudo -s
Scan right ring finger on UPEK TouchStrip
>>> it founds chip
Scan didn't quite work. Please try again.
>>> wrong scan
Scan right ring finger on UPEK TouchStrip
>>> good scan, and some kind of failure here
Password:
sudo: pam_authenticate: conversation failure
$

# usbconfig -u 3 -a 3 dump_access
Global Access: root:operator 0660
ugen3.3: <Biometric Coprocessor STMicroelectronics> at usbus3, cfg=0
md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON

  Device Access: operator:operator 0660
    Interface 0 Access: <not set>
#
(I am in operator group)

> > What is right way to handle that situation ?
> > Is there universal library, that will work for both stacks ?
>
> I was thinking about doing some detection inside libusb in ports, but
> currently you have to switch manually. On problem is that the libusb code in
> ports is not BSD licensed, so we cannot just copy in the old UGEN support :-(

Probably we may provide patch against devel/libusb to depend it on
libusb20 ?
So devel/libusb will stay LGPLed but libusb20 will be BSD licensed ?

--
Vladimir B. Grebenschikov
vova_at_fbsd.ru