Re: CFT: Graphics support for /boot/loader

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 14:35:02 +0100 (CET)
Alexander Leidinger wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > You can easily replace the background image, it's a
 > > standard PCX image file.  You can even re-arrange the
 > > position of the menu if necessary; there are simple
 > > variable settings for that in the theme.conf file.
 >
 > What about the actual menu items, are they configurable too (e.g. when
 > I want single-user as F1... ACPI should work now on most systems and I
 > don't see why disabling it should be in the first position), or does
 > it use the same stuff as the text menu for this (to fiddling with
 > forth would be necessary)?

The actual menu contents are in the beastie.4th file, just
like for the old text menu.  So, yes, you'd need to speak
FORTH in order to change that.

How many of the FreeBSD developers are actually fluent in
FORTH?  How many committers are able to review the .4th
code that I wrote?

Would there be strong resistance if I tried to replace FICL
with something else that is not as brain-knotting as FORTH?
Just to name an example, I once wrote a bourne-shell-like
parser that would not be difficult to embed.  I assume that
would enable many more developers and users to play with
the boot menu stuff.

Best regards
   Oliver