Re: CFT: Graphics support for /boot/loader

From: Antony Mawer <lists_at_mawer.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 13:42:55 +1100
Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Also take into account that this is "only" a boot screen.
> Most people will see it only for a few seconds.
>
> Regarding your question about VGA modes:
>
> Standard VGA supports at most 640x480 at 4 bits and 320x200
> at 8 bits.  So that's the common denominator.

Hi Oliver,

Do you know if it would be hard to modify splash(4) to supports 640x480
4-bit images? At the moment, according to the man page:

   "If the standard VGA video mode is used, the size of the bitmap must
    be 320x200 or less."

I would find a 640x480 image with a custom 16 colour palette and
appropriate dithering much more attractive than the current 320x200 but
with 256 colours offering (ignoring VESA, which seems to have varied
levels of support).

At the moment, a 640x480 4-bit image is just gives me a blank screen
unless I load the VESA module (and on a VESA capable machine)

If you have any suggestions then I am willing to try patches!

Cheers
Antony