Re: modular kernconf

From: army.of.root <army.of.root_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 22:55:37 +0100
Buganini wrote:
> (on i386 or amd64)
> I think it would be good to modularize kernconf.
> Now my kernconf include GENERIC, then add things I need,
> but I need to nodevice/nooptions many things I dont want.
> Maybe we can split GENERIC into several parts,
> the first parts is things before "device fdc" and atkbc, syscons,
> power sections.
> The others could be only one part or seperated to parts like SCSI,
> NIC, WIRELESS, USB...etc.
>
> This way I can customize my kernconf cleanly and easily.
> Like today I want to try USB2, I just change the GENERIC to USB2, then
> I got what I want.
>
> I dont like to make a replica GENERIC then modify it,
> because sometimes options in the SCHED section changes,
> and in this case, if I want to try USB2, things become dirty.

Hi,

I would really like the kernconf to stay in one file.
What would help is a more well structure in the GENERIC and
extensive documentation for what a specific module is good for
and what depends on it and what it depends on.

I did also try the usb2 stack a while ago and got a bit confused.

:) regards

PS: Thanks to all Devs for the pure awesomness of FreeBSD!