Re: patch: let msdosfs(vfat)/ntfs to support UTF-8 locale well

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 14:24:26 +0100
Quoting Yoshihiro Ota <ota_at_j.email.ne.jp> (from Fri, 13 Feb 2009
00:13:50 -0500):

> On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 20:34:40 +0200
> Gleb Kurtsou <gleb.kurtsou_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On (10/02/2009 17:12), 裴国兴 wrote:
>> > I write a patch to support UTF-8 locale well. I think it maybe help
>> > for some FreeBSD user.
>> > follow link is the patch (base on FreeBSD 7.1):
>> >
>> http://btload.googlegroups.com/web/msdosfs.patch?gda=MzIscT8AAABs_gmy4a1S9lRiXjEy-V5OpwtI67JnIGlz0zr18tjObOtoi5oIt3BJMRGeqGBbbj-ccyFKn-rNKC-d1pM_IdV0
>> > the full tar.bz2 package:
>> >
>> http://btload.googlegroups.com/web/msdosfs.tar.bz2?gda=IG1pBkEAAABs_gmy4a1S9lRiXjEy-V5OpwtI67JnIGlz0zr18tjObNLRc95Ps2S1UISaL0WhuitTCT_pCLcFTwcI3Sro5jAzlXFeCn-cdYleF-vtiGpWAA
>> >
>> > I also will patch for ntfs driver
>> >
>> http://btload.googlegroups.com/web/ntfs.patch?gda=OqsHoDwAAABs_gmy4a1S9lRiXjEy-V5O7RN7t-m4MjZ-5dQn_EvaqDVCWO9_HyYEQJyRQYPtRCL9Wm-ajmzVoAFUlE7c_fAt
>> >
>> http://btload.googlegroups.com/web/ntfs.tar.bz2?gda=zErXED4AAABs_gmy4a1S9lRiXjEy-V5O7RN7t-m4MjZ-5dQn_EvaqG3K0t6fVz8SMYStF_2dqCPjsKXVs-X7bdXZc5buSfmx
>> >
>> > The Chinese characters in the fat32 partition can be displayed
>> correctly now.
>> >
>> > when mount windows partitions, you should do like this:
>> > mount_ntfs -C UTF-8 /dev/ad?s? /path/to/mount
>> > mount_msdosfs -L zh_CN.UTF-8 /dev/ad?s? /path/to/mount
>>
>> I've also looked at it recently but my idea was to update kiconv to
>> handle ucs-2 (or whatever it is) -> utf-8 conversion in kernel. kiconv
>> supports different translation methods. Current implementation just
>> creates a table for ucs2->utf-8 conversion and passes it too kernel. It
>> seems it can't even handle all of unicode chars.
>> Fixing kiconv would be a better solution, imho.
>

> Some people attempted to improve kinconv and locale on filesystems.
> I only remember this one at this moment;
> http://people.freebsd.org/~imura/kiconv/
> This work was never merged into the tree excpet few bug fixes to
> other reasons.
> This was back in 5.x relases.  So, it doesn't apply cleanly these days.
>
> I also seens some people posted similar patches to the list in past years.
> However, none of them got any attentions to the project.
>
> I think we somehow have to get enough attensions of some (reasonable number
> of people) FreeBSD committers to this.  Otherwise, people keep reinvening
> and posting patches to this topic.

Maybe someone could have a look if/what Apple did. Maybe they improved
the kiconv part which makes the use of it for what you are interested
in possible.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
To do two things at once is to do neither.
		-- Publilius Syrus

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net: PGP ID = B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild _at_ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID = 72077137