Re: HEADS UP: Major CAM performance regression

From: Svein Skogen (listmail account) <"Svein>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 18:14:27 +0100

Scott Long wrote:
> All,
>
> A major performance regression was introduced to the CAM subsystem in
> FreeBSD 7.1.  The following configurations are known to be affected:
>
> VMWare ESX
> VMWare Fusion
>     (using bt or lsilogic controller options)
> HP CISS RAID
> Some MPT-SAS combinations with SATA drives attached
>     (Includes Dell SAS5/ir, but not PERC5/PERC6).
>
> Pure SCSI and SAS subsystems likely are NOT affected.  Any hardware
> that uses the 'ata' driver is also definitely NOT affected.  To
> determine if your installation is affected, run the following command as
> root:
>
> camcontrol tags da0
>
> Substitute 'da0' with another appropriate drive device number, if
> needed.  Note that this ONLY AFFECTS 'da' DEVICES.  If your disks are
> 'ad' devices, they are NOT affected.
>
> The result from running this command should be an output similar to the
> following:
>
> (pass0:mpt0:0:8:0): device openings: 255
>
> If, instead, it reports a value of '1', you are likely affected.  Note
> that it may be normal for USB memory devices to report a low number.
> Also, many legacy SCSI disks, and devices that are not disks, may also
> be expected to report a low number.
>
> The effect of this problem is that only one I/O command will be issued
> to the controller and disk at a time, instead of overlapping multiple
> commands in parallel.  This causes significantly higher latency in
> servicing moderate and heavy I/O workloads, leading to very poor
> performance.  Performance can be easily compared by downgrading to
> FreeBSD 7.0.

Any estimate on when this will be MFC'ed down to RELENG_7 yet?

//Svein

- --
- --------+-------------------+-------------------------------
  /"\   |Svein Skogen       | svein_at_d80.iso100.no
  \ /   |Solberg Østli 9    | PGP Key:  0xE5E76831
   X    |2020 Skedsmokorset | svein_at_jernhuset.no
  / \   |Norway             | PGP Key:  0xCE96CE13
        |                   | svein_at_stillbilde.net
 ascii  |                   | PGP Key:  0x58CD33B6
 ribbon |System Admin       | svein-listmail_at_stillbilde.net
Campaign|stillbilde.net     | PGP Key:  0x22D494A4
  Picture Gallery: https://gallery.stillbilde.net/v/svein/