Re: HEADS UP: IFF_NEEDSGIANT consumers to be disabled, removed

From: Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 19:21:28 +0100
Hi Maksim,

* Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl> wrote:
> > * Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >> so, for now, i think we should keep rfcomm_sppd(1) as it is. if this
> >> is not an option (with new tty subsystem) then we should convert it to
> >> use nmdm(4) or something similar.
> >
> > Well, the problem with the current approach is that if you remove
> > "device pty" from your kernel config, it won't work. With MPSAFE TTY we
> > switched to Unix98-style pseudo-terminals, so the preferred mechanism is
> > to call posix_openpt() (or open /dev/ptmx) and use ptsname() to
> > determine which character device to use.
>
> is there a way allocate tty with a given name under "new world order"?

No, there isn't. I have been thinking about this. Allowing
pseudo-terminals to be allocated with a certain name would allow us to
do things like implementing device drivers as a daemon in userspace.

> > I won't change anything now, but will keep my patch at the before
> > mentioned URL.
>
> like i said, the only problem i have here is that any rfcomm_sppd
> callers will have to do extra work to figure which tty was allocated.
> that is the biggest difference from user's point of view.

Well, we already have existing tools that use such an approach as well,
like mdmconfig. They print a name of the md device to stdout. I'm not
saying I'm 100% happy with this approach, but it's more correct than
just reserving a certain pseudo-terminal device name.

--
 Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/