Re: Annoying whitenoise sound coming from snd_hda enabled chipset

From: Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 15:11:41 -0800
On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Doug Barton <dougb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> Alexander Motin wrote:
>> It won't help. People never read manuals, especially long ones. :(
>
> While I can certainly sympathize with this (I frequently answer help
> requests for mergemaster and portmaster with "It's in the manual")
> it's always better to document stuff. There are at least _some_ users
> who do actually RTFM, and when they don't, at least you don't have to
> type the whole answer all over again. :)

    Exactly -- besides saying `RTFM in this manpage, section, here' is
much more satisfying than having to rehash the same answer quite a few
times.
    Btw, maybe the manpage for snd_hda should be split up into
multiple manpages or put into a special chapter in the handbook? It is
fairly long (but don't get me wrong -- the data is EXCELLENT!), but
getting to point may help your readers stay on track ;).
Just a thought ><.
-Garrett