Re: HEADS UP: IFF_NEEDSGIANT consumers to be disabled, removed

From: Bruce Simpson <bms_at_incunabulum.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 01:09:30 +0000
Robert Watson wrote:

> ..
> Just a reminder that 1 March is gradually approaching.  It looks like
> the new USB stack is settling nicely, so I currently have no plans to
> defer the above schedule.

Just to say: this is good news for 8.x, particularly for VIMAGE.

Losing the Giant lock from the network drivers will resolve the
possibility of a number of race conditions occurring in the network
stack, which are particularly noticeable with VIMAGE, due to how
protocol domains attach within vimages..

I'd expect that ongoing work could benefit by eliminating some use of
netisrs, however, it might be a good idea to retain those for a little
longer to make backporting to 7.x easier.

thanks,
BMS