Re: gcc 4.3: when will it become standard compiler?

From: Alexander Churanov <alexanderchuranov_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 01:12:57 +0300
Folks,

The '-std=c99'' only instructs GCC to allow the whole of C99. This is
clearly not enough, because this mode allows too many GCC extensions. If you
compile your code in "default' mode or just specify '-std=c99', then it's
very likely that you will eventually get stuck to GCC. Using this approach
you are reducing chances to switch to another C99 compiler.

Though I am not aware of any other open source compiler supporting C99, I
beleive that there is great need for it. This discussion indicates that
there is real necessity for BSD-licensed C99 compiler.

That's why I am always propagandizing the following: "-Wall -Werror -std=c99
-pedantic". To my mind, this helps to prepear your code for eventual
switching to another standard-compliant compiler.

Alexander