Re: Extattr portability?

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:57:02 -0800
Dylan Cochran wrote:

> Another is BeOS/Haiku, which used attributes heavily. I have been
> waiting for this work for a while. What I don't really mind is whether
> it is portable, what I really care about is full retention of the user
> namespace. ...
>
> That's my 2 cents on the matter, I use extended attributes now for
> storing cached mime-type, and sha256/md5 for checksum purposes.

Wonderful!  Care to help test?

There's still a lot of open questions about the system
namespace I'll have to figure out.  Over on the GNU tar
mailing list, the Linux filesystem folks have been agitating
for GNU tar to support system extattrs that carry filesystem
layout hints.  The portability issues with this make my
head hurt.

Tim