Re: Extattr portability?

From: <a134qaed_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 17:56:05 -0500
On 1/10/09, Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> Dylan Cochran wrote:
>>

> Wonderful!  Care to help test?

Absolutely.

> There's still a lot of open questions about the system
> namespace I'll have to figure out.  Over on the GNU tar
> mailing list, the Linux filesystem folks have been agitating
> for GNU tar to support system extattrs that carry filesystem
> layout hints.  The portability issues with this make my
> head hurt.

Yea, I think in the end it's going to be inherently un-portable, as in
some systems, the system attributes could be filesystem or kernel
specific. And I can forsee some dangerous reprocussions (a collision
on an attribute name in the system namespace, which on one system is
just a tag, like 'page=23', but on another, it's interpreted as a
flagged hint to the dynamic linker, on how to page in the file.....