Re: Alternatives to gcc (was Re: gcc 4.3: when will it become standard compiler?)

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 16:20:23 -0600
On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 05:04:21PM -0500, Eitan Adler wrote:
> > Smells like FUD to me. In all of my reading, I have never seen such a
> > claim. There may be some GPLv3 issues, but I seriously doubt this is
> > one.
> Which leads to my next question: why not upgrade?

Given the number of FreeBSD using companies who are completely banned the
presence of GPLv3 source from their sites, improvements would have to
be extremely compelling and there would have to be a straight forward
way to produce snapshots of the src tree with out any GPLv3 components
as well as a simple way to build said source tree with a non-GPLv3
compiler.

-- Brooks