Re: GEOM and moving to CURRENT from 7.1

From: Dimitry Andric <dimitry_at_andric.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:24:58 +0100
On 2009-01-15 19:05, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>> Hmm, strangely enough I have multiple systems which really do use ad0s1
>> while installed DD using sysinstall, and have been using that since years...
> This is a problem with sysinstall. It looks like DD is broken.
> MBR partitions are always created.

Indeed, and the MBR itself is filled with /boot/boot1, plus a partition
table.  It is possible this was done to appease some PC BIOSes, because
some of those refuse to boot, if there is no "valid" MBR with an active
partition...

> GEOM_PART correctly uses the
> BSD disklabel that's in the 2nd sector, but GEOM_MBR claims the
> MBR being unaware that the disk is DD.

But how can this be, if I don't have GEOM_MBR in my kernel config?  (I'm
using GENERIC, in fact.)

> libdisk is broken in that it should
> not create MBR slices for DD configurations to begin with...

As stated above, this might be on purpose; enough braindead BIOSes out
there... :)