Re: GEOM and moving to CURRENT from 7.1

From: Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt_at_mac.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:05:20 -0800
On Jan 15, 2009, at 9:32 AM, Dimitry Andric wrote:

> On 2009-01-15 18:00, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>>> Hmm, in my case I can't do so, since I have a "Dangerously
>>> Dedicated"
>>> FreeBSD MBR partition.
>>
>> You don't have a DD installation if your root file system
>> is mounted on ad0s1a. You have a DD installation if your
>> root file system is mounted on ad0a.
>
> Hmm, strangely enough I have multiple systems which really do use
> ad0s1
> while installed DD using sysinstall, and have been using that since
> years...

This is a problem with sysinstall. It looks like DD is broken.
MBR partitions are always created. GEOM_PART correctly uses the
BSD disklabel that's in the 2nd sector, but GEOM_MBR claims the
MBR being unaware that the disk is DD.

In other words: GEOM_MBR is broken in that it claims the MBR
for DD configurations, when GEOM_BSD should actually have
claimed the BSD disklabel. libdisk is broken in that it should
not create MBR slices for DD configurations to begin with...

FYI,

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt_at_mac.com