Re: NTFS in GENERIC: opt-in or opt-out?

From: Erich Dollansky <oceanare_at_pacific.net.sg>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 17:42:53 +0800
Hi,

On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 00:35 -0800, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> Erich Dollansky wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 23:25 -0800, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am reviewing differences between amd64 and i386 GENERIC kernels and
> >> noticed that for some unclear reason we ship amd64 GENERIC with NTFS
> >> module compiled in, while i386 without it. IMHO both should match. The
> >> question is whether NTFS should be i386 way (opt in) or amd64 way (opt
> >
> > the Windows file system?
> >
> > I would use opt-in as most people will not need it.
>
> Any particular reason why not? Memory is cheap, 100-200KB of extra
> kernel code doesn't really matter today, while NTFS is probably the most

it still matters. Not one driver this size alone, but if all drivers
together are always in the system, it is at the end nothing else than a
direct replacement for Windows: slow and full of stuff the user does not
need.

> widespread filesystem after MSDOS. Therefore supporting it in the
> GENERIC out of the box even in the read-only mode (our NTFS driver is
> read-only AFAIK) could benefit many users.

Thumb Drives are mostly formatted with FAT-32. So NTFS in the kernel
will not make a difference.

Erich